Sunday, March 20, 2011

Let the Church Swap Begin

The Waco Church Swap officially begins today. I am a little nervous. However, my nervousness stems from going to a different church rather than from going to a church with a predominantly White congregation. I am accustomed to being one of the few black people in many situations. In fact, one of the reasons I chose a predominantly black church was to expose my children to some diversity.

I believe this project is very important because change should begin in the church. For the most part, society is desegregated everywhere else, including schools, jobs and neighborhoods. There is no reason for the 11 a.m. hour to be the most segregated hour there is.

My children were perhaps the most resistant to this church swap. Like me, they love their church family, and they did not want to leave it --even for three months. I stressed to them the importance of being a change agent. And discussed the fear the Little Rock Nine felt integrating schools in the sixties.

To alleviate their fears, I let my oldest daughter choose the church we will be visiting--First Baptist Church of Woodway. It has a very active youth department, and they are very excited about that. My husband is probably the least nervous. He joined my church last year, which was a “church swap” of sorts for him. He has always attended a predominantly white church. He made the adjustment very well, and has taken on an active role at our home church--Antioch Baptist Church Waco.

I will keep you guys posted as we embark on this adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment