Monday, March 21, 2011

Church Swap: Our First Visit

Be the change you want to see in the world.
                                             ~   Gandhi

Perhaps the scariest part of our visit to a new church was driving up to First Baptist Church of Woodway. I was overwhelmed by the size of the building; however, once we got inside, members were friendly and welcoming.

We met the pastor and many other people who welcomed us.  We didn’t get to witness his preaching style this week. He discussed the church's outreach efforts, which include donations to Haiti, Cuba, Japan and Chile. They are contemplating starting a local Hispanic church, which sounds very promising.

My sons, who were against switching churches, loved it. They saw several of their friends from school and really enjoyed the church’s Sunday school class. William even announced that he would love to join the church.

There are several changes worth noting. The choir’s singing style was very different. However, I found it relaxing. Perhaps the biggest difference in congregations is size. FBCW is perhaps 20 times larger than my church home. However, I see many opportunities for small group experiences.

My family and I enjoyed the first chapter of this adventure. We are off to a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment